Skip to main content

My Doll Making Journey

Hello doll makers. My name is Suzanne. I love making things, especially dolls of clay.  My passion for doll making has grown over the last 5 years.  I discovered sculpting one of a kind dolls, known as OOAK, in polymer clay while searching for answers to a problem I was having: broken legs on figurines I had sculpted for my son’s school projects.


For years I had made cute animals and even a male “Spartan” for my son for his school projects or just because he wanted a cute toy out of play dough.  I found that I really enjoyed creating these creatures for him.  But each time I made a large figurine, my son would come home from school disappointed. “The legs broke.” he would say.  So after the last disappointment, I decided to find out what I was doing wrong.

        Flumo BJDs- Sophie and Annabelle 


Although I spent the majority of my time in high school in the art room, we mainly drew pictures or painted.  Figurine sculptures were not part of our curriculum.  In college I majored in Residential Design, where my extent of creating art focused on drawing traffic patterns and furniture placement on floor plans.  I also drew vignettes of those rooms in perspective.  Later, I returned to graduate school to become a kindergarten teacher.  Needless to say, it took me years to rediscover my love for dolls.

As I am sure you have done, I searched the internet for solutions to my sculpting problem. I discovered that my poor figurines were missing their bones. I had failed to create an armature. No wonder the legs were breaking.

It was during these searches that I came across Reborn baby dolls made of silicone and One of a Kind (OOAK) fairies made in polymer clay. Whoa, I thought. These dolls are awesome! I want to make my own.

This discovery also reminded me of a time in my childhood where I had tried to make a doll from a kit.  Only the directions were so confusing, I gave up trying and believed I would never be able to make my own doll. Thank goodness I decided to try again, but this time I was determined to succeed.

           Morgan, artist cast resin BJD


This blog is for those of you who are taking the same doll making journey or are interested in starting. When I began, there were only a few videos and blogs pertaining to this subject.  Now there are books, video tutorials, and instructors who are willing to show us how to sculpt dolls from clay.  Even with these resources, doll making is a challenge.  I am not promising perfection.  I still have a lot to learn.  Many times I have started faces or bodies and wondered why my doll didn’t look at all like the tutorial. Each of us has our own way of doing things. It doesn’t matter if your doll doesn’t look like someone else’s doll.  Just put some clay in your hand, watch some videos, read some books and start making something you will love.

                 Fairy mom and baby


I plan to show you pictures of my own work.  I will try to explain my processes and even explain when things go wrong.  My doll making has come a long way since I began 5 years ago.  I have plenty of bad arms, legs, torsos and faces to prove it, but I also have my own fairy, a mermaid, and several Ball Jointed Dolls (BJDs) to admire on my bookshelf.  I have even taught myself to make molds and cast my dolls in Flumo, an air dry slip, and in resin.

Soon I plan to cast a doll in porcelain, with the help of a new friend who is a wonderful porcelain doll artist. I also plan to interview her about her own doll making journey.

Morgan cast in resin with caucasian skin tone


So come join me on my journey. I look forward to hearing from you.  I will gladly answer questions and comments. I am not saying I am an expert, just that doll making has become my passion. If it’s yours too or you’re just interested in this subject, welcome! I look forward to experiencing this journey with you.

Below is a link to my Facebook and instagram pages,which feature pictures of my doll journey.

https://www.instagram.com/suzannehillbagley/

Suzannehttps://m.facebook.com/Suzannes-Hands-Fair-Meadow-Soaps-184392372128/

https://www.instagram.com/suzannehillbagley/

My rock star

Comments


  1. Thanks for reading. I would love to hear about your own doll making experience. Even if you are just beginning or you have been making dolls for years. It is so helpful to me to hear your thoughts about doll making. Any suggestions or problems you’ve encountered.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gluing Mohair onto a Tiny Polymer Clay Doll’s Head

                       Today I am going to show you how I glue mohair onto a tiny doll's head.                      Firstly, I add a small amount of glue to the back of the doll's head.  I use tacky glue by Aleen.                                                 Next, I cut a tiny amount of locks from the mohair skin.  This is a piece of mohair I ordered several years ago.  It may actually be Tibetan wool, because it is attached to a piece of skin, but I truly am not sure.  I have locks from a friend's sheep that I will be dying in the future to post on this blog.  The new locks are shaved from the animal, which makes me feel better about obtaining sheep locks.  Of course, this is just a preference I have now.  When I bought this hair, I did not know that I had any other choices. Here I have placed the first row of hair across the lower back of her head.  The hair reaches from ear to ear.      I then placed another small amount of glue onto the area abo

How I Fixed My Broken Basaak Blythe Doll

Last week I received a Basaak Blythe clone in the mail.  I bought it from a man who was selling a couple of dolls that he had inherited from a friend who customized Blythe dolls.  He didn't give any more information except to say he priced it according to the other dolls for sale on that site, and that he did not know anything about dolls.  Well, she was $25, and I know about dolls.   I bought her immediately.  I was well aware that she would be broken when she arrived.  Her legs were not attached, and she was missing a green eye chip.  This didn't matter to me, because I knew I could fix her. After spending hours online learning about Blythe dolls and Blythe clones, I knew I could buy replacement parts.  The seller stated that he believed the missing eye chip was inside the head, because he could hear it rattling.  He didn't, however, explain the actual problem with the legs.  He only posted a picture.  I took a chance, and bought her anyway. I assume the man who cus

Flumo and Plaster Casting- the art of creating an Art Doll

For the last 8 or 9 years, I’ve been obsessed with creating art dolls. It started one day when my son, who was in 8th grade at the time, came home with his science project. It was a “zebra” with camouflaged stripes painted in orange and white. I had sculpted it for him, but he had painted it. This was the last of a long line of animals and one “Spartan” warrior that I’d helped him create for school. All of them out of air dry clay made for kids. Although I had spent most of my own time in school taking Art, I had never learned to actually sculpt. When my son was little, I’d make him cute little animals in play dough, and we’d let them dry. He loved them, so I guess he thought I was able to make anything he needed. It does seem that I had made something as a child out of paper machete using a balloon as a form, but I don’t remember if it worked or what it was. Once we did wrap string dipped in sugar water around a balloon. When it dried, we popped the balloon and cut out a hole, pla