Skip to main content

Doll Artist Feature- Kelly Sparks "Higher Delights Dolls"




A few years ago, my husband and I, along with our 10 year old son, left Memphis, TN to move to Western Kentucky for his job.  He is a civil engineer.  He was working on the largest civil works project for the Army Corps of Engineers, which was in its last stages of building 3 locks and a damn across the Ohio River. We loved our time in Kentucky, and miss the friends we made there.  Life has lead us to South Carolina for the Natural Resources Conservation Service, because the damn opened this past September, and we were almost sent to the cold weather instead of the warm South. So we chose being close to the beach and the mountains instead of Mid-America. But this post is about our time in Kentucky.

A few weeks after moving to Kentucky, I was browsing Etsy, looking at the wonderful art dolls for sale. While there, I came across the store, "Higher Delights Dolls," by Kelly Sparks Salchli.  Oh my goodness, these dolls were gorgeous!  So I decided to read about the artist.  And I couldn't believe what I saw.  She lived in the same town I had just moved to.  What were the odds of that?
So I did something most introverts would cringe about, I wrote to her and introduced myself.  We even made plans to meet at a local place she had never been to before.  Although it was kinda awkward for two introverts meeting each other for the fist time, we soon became great friends.  And just a side note, I'm a talker, so most people would never guess that I am just as happy spending time alone making things than going out and being a social butterfly.  And I can't speak for Kelly, but I'm pretty sure she's not a social butterfly either.

Kelly and I were both busy mothers, but we tried to take time to craft things together.  She has a big studio where she creates her dolls. She has her own kiln, and has taught herself to quilt.  These days she is remodeling her home and painting beautiful unicorns. I have learned a lot from Kelly.  She inspires me.

After knowing each other for about 6 months, we took a trip together along with my son and her daughter to attend her first doll show in Asheville, NC.  While there, I met some wonderful artists who were so kind and encouraging.  Although the show was mainly for Reborn babies, there were artists there who created OOAK art dolls and BJDs.  Maybe in another post, I will give you an insider look at selling at a doll show.  But understand, this was our first, and so far, only experience. We are thinking about trying another one soon.

It was at this show that I first laid eyes on the doll I have featured in this post. Kelly told me that she was a "last minute" decision.  She had a few pieces that hadn't been used for her other dolls, so she decided to make another doll for the show. And I'm so glad she did! This doll took my breathe away, and she still does! I fell for her hard.  I don't believe I have ever wanted anything so badly.  And I can finally say, I have her thanks to my loving husband and to Kelly who kept her for me for these last two years.   

Kelly is not only an art doll creator, she is also a wonderful painter.  Lately she has been painting unicorns and other fantasy paintings.  I hope to show case her work in the future as well as interview her for you.


This doll was created exclusively by my good friend, Kelly Sparks Salchli. This doll is cast in porcelain and delicately painted in china paints.  Her clothes are handmade. She also has a beautiful unicorn carved into her back and a lovely necklace carved around her collar bone. 
Please visit her Facebook page: 

https://www.facebook.com/KellySalchliHigherDelightsDolls/
Kelly loves horses, and she draws them so beautifully. 
What a beautiful face. 

Love these elf ears!

Such delicate carving around her collar bone.

Tiny hands are hard to make. These are so life like, and I love the painted nails.

Even the bottom of her feet are so realistic. 

Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluing Mohair onto a Tiny Polymer Clay Doll’s Head

                       Today I am going to show you how I glue mohair onto a tiny doll's head.                      Firstly, I add a small amount of glue to the back of the doll's head.  I use tacky glue by Aleen.                                                 Next, I cut a tiny amount of locks from the mohair skin.  This is a piece of mohair I ordered several years ago.  It may actually be Tibetan wool, because it is attached to a piece of skin, but I truly am not sure.  I have locks from a friend's sheep that I will be dying in the future to post on this blog.  The new locks are shaved from the animal, which makes me feel better about obtaining sheep locks.  Of course, this is just a preference I have now.  When I bought this hair, I did not know that I had any other choices. Here I have placed the first row of hair across the lower back of her head.  The hair reaches from ear to ear.      I then placed another small amount of glue onto the area abo

How I Fixed My Broken Basaak Blythe Doll

Last week I received a Basaak Blythe clone in the mail.  I bought it from a man who was selling a couple of dolls that he had inherited from a friend who customized Blythe dolls.  He didn't give any more information except to say he priced it according to the other dolls for sale on that site, and that he did not know anything about dolls.  Well, she was $25, and I know about dolls.   I bought her immediately.  I was well aware that she would be broken when she arrived.  Her legs were not attached, and she was missing a green eye chip.  This didn't matter to me, because I knew I could fix her. After spending hours online learning about Blythe dolls and Blythe clones, I knew I could buy replacement parts.  The seller stated that he believed the missing eye chip was inside the head, because he could hear it rattling.  He didn't, however, explain the actual problem with the legs.  He only posted a picture.  I took a chance, and bought her anyway. I assume the man who cus

Flumo and Plaster Casting- the art of creating an Art Doll

For the last 8 or 9 years, I’ve been obsessed with creating art dolls. It started one day when my son, who was in 8th grade at the time, came home with his science project. It was a “zebra” with camouflaged stripes painted in orange and white. I had sculpted it for him, but he had painted it. This was the last of a long line of animals and one “Spartan” warrior that I’d helped him create for school. All of them out of air dry clay made for kids. Although I had spent most of my own time in school taking Art, I had never learned to actually sculpt. When my son was little, I’d make him cute little animals in play dough, and we’d let them dry. He loved them, so I guess he thought I was able to make anything he needed. It does seem that I had made something as a child out of paper machete using a balloon as a form, but I don’t remember if it worked or what it was. Once we did wrap string dipped in sugar water around a balloon. When it dried, we popped the balloon and cut out a hole, pla