Skip to main content

My Big Eyed Doll Head Made in Premier Air Dry Clay

Big head doll with cute elf ears
Pin ItRecently I became inspired to create a doll with a big head and really big eyes. I have loved the doll, Blythe, since I was a young girl in the 70s. The idea of creating a Blythe replica came to me years ago, before I bought a Blythe Basaak doll a few months ago. I owned an original when I was 9. I loved her. I am unsure if she is still packed away at my parents’ house. One day I hope to find her. I really believed I would have to sculpt one of my own if I ever wanted another.

So I decided to sculpt a similar doll based on the original Blythe. Her head is smaller. The lips and nose are bigger and her eyes are squarish, not round. I sculpted her out of Premier clay. Below I have pictures of my progress. I sculpted the face first on the back of a glass pan. I dried the face in my oven at 275 degrees. Afterwards, I wrapped a piece of aluminum foil in plastic wrap. I used a size close to the size of the face. I then added clay to the foil to create the back of the head. She has been improved several times as I added clay to the nose and lips. I added elf ears. I plan to mold the doll and cast her in resin.

I have the head pictured on a bjd body I created separately
.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluing Mohair onto a Tiny Polymer Clay Doll’s Head

                       Today I am going to show you how I glue mohair onto a tiny doll's head.                      Firstly, I add a small amount of glue to the back of the doll's head.  I use tacky glue by Aleen.                                                 Next, I cut a tiny amount of locks from the mohair skin.  This is a piece of mohair I ordered several years ago.  It may actually be Tibetan wool, because it is attached to a piece of skin, but I truly am not sure.  I have locks from a friend's sheep that I will be dying in the future to post on this blog.  The new locks are shaved from the animal, which makes me feel better about obtaining sheep locks.  Of course, this is just a preference I have now.  When I bought this hair, I did not know that I had any other choices. Here I have placed the first row of hair across the lower back of her head.  The hair reaches from ear to ear.      I then placed another small amount of glue onto the area abo

How I Fixed My Broken Basaak Blythe Doll

Last week I received a Basaak Blythe clone in the mail.  I bought it from a man who was selling a couple of dolls that he had inherited from a friend who customized Blythe dolls.  He didn't give any more information except to say he priced it according to the other dolls for sale on that site, and that he did not know anything about dolls.  Well, she was $25, and I know about dolls.   I bought her immediately.  I was well aware that she would be broken when she arrived.  Her legs were not attached, and she was missing a green eye chip.  This didn't matter to me, because I knew I could fix her. After spending hours online learning about Blythe dolls and Blythe clones, I knew I could buy replacement parts.  The seller stated that he believed the missing eye chip was inside the head, because he could hear it rattling.  He didn't, however, explain the actual problem with the legs.  He only posted a picture.  I took a chance, and bought her anyway. I assume the man who cus

Flumo and Plaster Casting- the art of creating an Art Doll

For the last 8 or 9 years, I’ve been obsessed with creating art dolls. It started one day when my son, who was in 8th grade at the time, came home with his science project. It was a “zebra” with camouflaged stripes painted in orange and white. I had sculpted it for him, but he had painted it. This was the last of a long line of animals and one “Spartan” warrior that I’d helped him create for school. All of them out of air dry clay made for kids. Although I had spent most of my own time in school taking Art, I had never learned to actually sculpt. When my son was little, I’d make him cute little animals in play dough, and we’d let them dry. He loved them, so I guess he thought I was able to make anything he needed. It does seem that I had made something as a child out of paper machete using a balloon as a form, but I don’t remember if it worked or what it was. Once we did wrap string dipped in sugar water around a balloon. When it dried, we popped the balloon and cut out a hole, pla