Skip to main content

I'm Back from a Long Stretch! My new Blythe Store

 

Good morning doll friends!  It's been awhile since I posted last.  I've had a lot of personal changes happening in my life in the last two years.  

My family has moved 3 times now in the last 5 years.  My husband and I are both originally from Memphis, TN.  Because of my husband's job opportunities, we have lived in Paducah, KY for two years, Columbus, SC for a year and a half, and now we live in Charleston, SC near the beach!  We even have palmetto palm trees in our yard! How cool is that?

Unfortunately, along with moving, I also have been working full time as a preschool teacher.  I love those kiddos, but I find I'm just exhausted when I get home, so I haven't opened up my blog page to write about dolls for you in about 2 years.  

I am hoping this trend will not continue.  I have so much to say, and I want to keep you informed about my doll making journey, as well as my other crafting adventures!  

Along with doll sculpting, I also create my own homemade lye soap recipe and cook them in my crock pot.  I have an Etsy store where I sell my homemade soaps and also my cute "wash cloth" gnomes.  They aren't dolls, but they sure are cute needled felted art! www.etsy.com/shop/fairmeadowsoaps

I also have opened a new store on Shopify. www.fair-meadow-natural-soaps.myshopify.com (I know it says soaps and not dolls, but I can't change that yet)  This is a doll specific store that sells only factory Blythe and clone Blythe Basaak dolls and accessories for all Blythe dolls.  I hope you visit and leave your email.  I'd also love to hear your opinions about the store. What you like, what you feel needs improvement, how you feel about the prices and the layout.  I definitely want to sell the things you are interested in buying.  Unfortunately, at this time, I cannot sell real Takara Neo Blythe dolls on my store. I did look! I would love to sell real dolls, but until then, I will sell the closest dolls to a real Blythe that I can find.

I decided that factory Blythe dolls are there for those of us who love Blythe dolls but simply cannot afford to collect the real dolls.  I do have two Ashton Drake Gallery dolls, and one day I will buy myself a Neo Blythe Sugar Sugar Rune Chocolat Blythe.  Right now, I can't bring myself to buy her for $450-$600!  I also have my eye on Devi Delacour! Oh so cute. I did add a look alike on my store. Maybe I'll get her myself!

Tell me in the comments what you think about factory Blythes, but please remember to be kind.  I am always willing to hear opinions, but I am not going to feel guilty for factory dolls.  They are a big business, and if there are those who want to buy them from me or from another supplier, that's their prerogative. Who are we to judge?  

I am not a purist! One of my favorite dolls is a Basaak doll I bought from Ebay that was broken. She was my first "Blythe" doll that I bought after rediscovering those big eyed dolls like the one I owned in 1978!  I have a post in this blog where I attempted to fix her leg at the hip. Unfortunately, I had to buy her a new body instead.  Since buying her, I've bought several more.  I also found out that 4 year olds cannot pull the string without pulling too hard and breaking the string.  I am convinced now that, although little girls actually do like big eyed dolls, they aren't physically ready to play gently with them!  So much for introducing them to my preschool class!

So it's nice to be back writing again! Please leave me a comment and follow the blog.  I'd love to hear what you are interested in reading about on this blog!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluing Mohair onto a Tiny Polymer Clay Doll’s Head

                       Today I am going to show you how I glue mohair onto a tiny doll's head.                      Firstly, I add a small amount of glue to the back of the doll's head.  I use tacky glue by Aleen.                                                 Next, I cut a tiny amount of locks from the mohair skin.  This is a piece of mohair I ordered several years ago.  It may actually be Tibetan wool, because it is attached to a piece of skin, but I truly am not sure.  I have locks from a friend's sheep that I will be dying in the future to post on this blog.  The new locks are shaved from the animal, which makes me feel better about obtaining sheep locks.  Of course, this is just a preference I have now.  When I bought this hair, I did not know that I had any other choices. Here I have placed the first row of hair across the lower back of her head.  The hair reaches from ear to ear.      I then placed another small amount of glue onto the area abo

How I Fixed My Broken Basaak Blythe Doll

Last week I received a Basaak Blythe clone in the mail.  I bought it from a man who was selling a couple of dolls that he had inherited from a friend who customized Blythe dolls.  He didn't give any more information except to say he priced it according to the other dolls for sale on that site, and that he did not know anything about dolls.  Well, she was $25, and I know about dolls.   I bought her immediately.  I was well aware that she would be broken when she arrived.  Her legs were not attached, and she was missing a green eye chip.  This didn't matter to me, because I knew I could fix her. After spending hours online learning about Blythe dolls and Blythe clones, I knew I could buy replacement parts.  The seller stated that he believed the missing eye chip was inside the head, because he could hear it rattling.  He didn't, however, explain the actual problem with the legs.  He only posted a picture.  I took a chance, and bought her anyway. I assume the man who cus

Flumo and Plaster Casting- the art of creating an Art Doll

For the last 8 or 9 years, I’ve been obsessed with creating art dolls. It started one day when my son, who was in 8th grade at the time, came home with his science project. It was a “zebra” with camouflaged stripes painted in orange and white. I had sculpted it for him, but he had painted it. This was the last of a long line of animals and one “Spartan” warrior that I’d helped him create for school. All of them out of air dry clay made for kids. Although I had spent most of my own time in school taking Art, I had never learned to actually sculpt. When my son was little, I’d make him cute little animals in play dough, and we’d let them dry. He loved them, so I guess he thought I was able to make anything he needed. It does seem that I had made something as a child out of paper machete using a balloon as a form, but I don’t remember if it worked or what it was. Once we did wrap string dipped in sugar water around a balloon. When it dried, we popped the balloon and cut out a hole, pla